Awjila Songs IV
8 March 2013 Leave a comment
Jā rijù lû rāit Bālǧu / Gān laḥbûb imriĵét
Phonetic: ya irìw lú rayt Balžu / Gan ləḥbùb əmriyìt
‘O child, if you could only see Balzhu / There the dates are so beautiful’
- ya irìw Arabic vocative particle + Aujila word for child, or son.
- lú rayt a codeswitch to Arabic, this construction is a very common poetic expression ‘if you could only see’
- Balžu a date palm plantation near Aujila.
- gan locative adverb ‘there’
- ləḥbùb ‘dates’, plural of əlḥəbb, an unusual loan from Arabic. This is the usual term for ‘edible date’ in Aujila, but the original Arabic word rather means ‘seed’ or ‘grain’.
- əmriyìt pl. of the stative verb mri ‘to be beautiful’