Awjila Songs III
8 March 2013 Leave a comment
ġillîḫ kìra šaīnāt / ‘ali simeḥ diwîs uāmmi.
Phonetic: ġəllìx kìra šaynat / ʕəli səməḥ d iwì-s n ammi
I don’t want the ugly ones, (but I want) My handsome cousin Ali, who is the son of my uncle.
- ġəllìx pf. 1sg. ‘to want’
- kìra apparantly the negative particle. Surprisingly not -kra as in Text 1, nor ká as in Paradisi.
- šaynat < ELA šeynāt ‘ugly ones’ (p.c. Benkato)
- ʕəli Personal Name
- səməḥ < ELA simiḥ ‘handsome’ (p.c. Benkato)
- d predicate marker
- iwi-s ‘son’ with the 3sg. kinship suffix.
- n genitive particle, written as u in Zanon’s original text, the handwritten u was probably mistaken for n when set into type. Cursively written u and n can be quite close.
- ammi ‘uncle’ < Ar. ʕamm-ī ‘my uncle’
The construction iwì-s n ammi ‘son of my uncle’ is reminiscent of Song II which had the construction wullì-s n ʕə̀mma ‘the daughter of my aunt’.